(a strip of cloth, wood etc hiding a curtain rail.) pelmet

Deutsch-Englisch Wörterbuch. 2013.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • pelmet — ► NOUN ▪ a narrow border fitted across the top of a door or window to conceal the curtain fittings. ORIGIN probably from French palmette small palm leaf …   English terms dictionary

  • pelmet — [pel′mət] n. [? altered < Fr palmette, a palm leaf ornament on a cornice < palme,PALM1] a decorative cornice or valance for concealing the fixtures of curtains or drapes …   English World dictionary

  • Pelmet — A pelmet is a framework placed above a window, used to conceal curtain fixtures. These can be used decoratively (to hide the curtain rod) and/or to [ pelmets.php conserve heat] in a room. It is similar in… …   Wikipedia

  • pelmet — UK [ˈpelmɪt] / US [ˈpelmət] noun [countable] Word forms pelmet : singular pelmet plural pelmets British a narrow piece of wood or cloth used as decoration across the top of a window in order to hide the curtain rod …   English dictionary

  • pelmet — [[t]pe̱lmɪt[/t]] pelmets N COUNT A pelmet is a long, narrow piece of wood or fabric which is fitted at the top of a window for decoration and to hide the curtain rail. [BRIT] (in AM, use valance) …   English dictionary

  • pelmet — noun Etymology: probably modification of French palmette palmette Date: 1812 a short valance or small cornice for concealing curtain fixtures …   New Collegiate Dictionary

  • pelmet — /pel mit/, n. a decorative cornice or valance at the head of a window or doorway, used to cover the fastenings from which curtains are hung. [1900 05; perh. alter. of PALMETTE (or < F palmette), employed as an ornament on wood or plaster window… …   Universalium

  • pelmet — noun Interior decorative item that is placed above a window to hide the curtain mechanisms, visually similar to a cornice or valance …   Wiktionary

  • pelmet — pel|met [ˈpelmıt] n BrE [Date: 1900 2000; : French; Origin: palmette palm leaf shaped decoration (at the top of a window) ] a narrow piece of wood or cloth above a window that hides the rod that the curtains hang on American Equivalent: valance …   Dictionary of contemporary English

  • pelmet — pel|met [ pelmət ] noun count BRITISH a window VALANCE …   Usage of the words and phrases in modern English

  • pelmet — see PALM …   The Hutchinson dictionary of word origins

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.